- about 1 kg beef (suitable for stew)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 5 shallots or 2 large shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- large pinch of ground cloves
- dash of vinegar
- sunflower or other neutral oil
- 2 peeled tomatoes (or use canned tomatoes)
- 7 tablespoons sweet ketjap
- 300 ml water
- pepper and salt to taste
- rice and a salad for serving
Kitchen equipment needed
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pan & lid
- small pan
- wooden spoon
Preparation — 10 minutes
PEEL and finely chop the shallots and garlic cloves. An easy way to peel the tomatoes is cooking them for about 20 seconds in boiling water. Create an X on the bottom of the tomato before boiling it and after cooking place them under cold running water. PEEL them and then chop them into pieces.
DIVIDE the beef into bite-size pieces and SEASON them with pepper and salt.
Finishing the daging smoor — 1 hour 45 minutes
HEAT sunflower or other neutral oil in a Dutch oven. COOK the meat until the pieces are beautiful brown before you add the shallot and garlic. After a few minutes you can also add the nutmeg and cloves. ADD the tomato pieces along with a dash of vinegar, ketjap and water.
Put the lid on and let it simmer on low heat for about 1,5 hours. REMOVE the lid and let it reduce until the stew reached the desired thickness. Serve with rice and salad, enjoy!