Ingredients for the pie crust
- 80 gram sugar
- 250 gram all-purpose flour + extra
- pinch of salt
- 100 gram butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Ingredients for the pumpkin filling
- 375 gram pumpkin puree (we’ve used butternut squash, but you can use any pumpkin you can find) *
- 2 eggs
- 185 brown caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- half a teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- half a teaspoon ground cinnamon
- half a teaspoon ground cloves
- pepper to taste
- 180 ml cream
- 45 ml milk
* Note: You can easily make your own pumpkin puree by boiling the pieces into water and then drain and mash them into a puree. Or you can puree the pumpkin in the oven by wrapping it into tin foil until it’s soft enough to mash the pumpkin into a puree.
Kitchen equipment needed
- Standmixer or handmixer with flat beater + whisk attachment
- Cling film
- Pie form (25 cm)
- Blind baking beans
- Parchment paper
Preparation — 15 minutes + 1 hour waiting time
MIX 250 gram all-purpose flour with a pinch of salt and 80 gram sugar. CUT the butter into small cubes and ADD those one at a time to the flour mixture. Keep on mixing with the flat beater attachment. The mixture will look crumbled. ADD 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Keep on mixing until a dough ball has formed. WRAP the dough in cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
PRE-HEAT the oven to 180 degrees celsius or 350 degrees fahrenheit. GREASE a large pie form with butter. ADD a little bit of flour to the countertop and use a rolling-pin to roll out the dough. PRESS the dough into the pie form and poke holes in the bottom using a fork. Use your rolling-pin to trim the overlapping dough.
PLACE a piece of parchment paper onto the bottom of the pie crust. ADD blind baking beans to the pie crust and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
While the pie crust is cooling off a little bit, you can whip up the filling.
COMBINE pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, cornstarch, spices, cream and milk. You are right the filling is very liquid, but don’t worry! In the oven this will work out just fine!
Baking the pumpkin pie — 50 minutes
POUR the filling onto the pie crust and BAKE the pumpkin for about 50 minutes to an hour in the oven. If the pie crust is turning too dark, but the filling isn’t set yet, cover the pie with tin foil.
Let the pumpkin pie cool off completely. Serve with whipped cream and ground cinnamon for garnish if you like. Enjoy!