- 1/2 pound broccoli
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 2 medium-sized (boiling) potatoes
- 2 large carrots, or smaller ones
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt to taste
- Créme fraîche
Kitchen equipment needed
- Chef’s knife + cutting board
- Potato peeler
- Vegetable peeler
- Handheld immersion blender
Preparation — 15 minutes
CLEAN and dice the onion and potatoes. CLEAN and slice the leek. COARSELY grate the carrots. PREPARE 4 cups chicken broth. You can use store-bought chicken stock for this if you like. PREPARE the broccoli by cutting off the florets. Chop them into 1 inch pieces; peel and chop the stems.
POUR the chicken broth along with the onion, leek, potatoes, broccoli rosets and carrots in the slow-cooker along with all of the spices.
Slow cooker broccoli soup cooking — 4 hours
COVER the slow-cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Taste, season with some more herbs and salt&pepper. REDUCE heat to the lowest setting and cook for another 2 hours.
USE a handheld immersion to puree the soup. If you don’t have a handheld immersion blender, use a food processor instead. SERVE the soup with a nice scoop of crème fraîche. This soup can be refrigerated for up to 1 day, or frozen for up to a month. Enjoy!