- (Homemade) tuna salad
- Click to see our recipe for a classic tuna salad.
- 1 can of white tuna packed of water
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 small red onion
- 2 dill pickes or sweet gherkins
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper
- Bread for toasting, we used whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Large handful of grated fresh mild cheddar cheese
- Curly lettuce
- 1 ripe red tomato
- Note: other ingredients pictured below are for the classic tuna salad recipe.
Kitchen equipment needed
- Can opener (optional)
- Large bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Chef’s knife + cutting board
- Oven with grill option
- Salad dryer (optional)
Preparation — 10 minutes
START by making the classic tuna salad (recipe here), this takes about 10 minutes. ROUGHLY grate about a large handful of fresh mild cheddar cheese. WASH and cut one ripe red tomato into slices. WASH the curly lettuce, dry using a salad dryer and shred into large pieces.
GRAB a piece of bread, add a few spoonfuls of classic tuna salad on top along with 2-3 slices of tomato. ADD a large handful of roughly grated mild cheddar cheese. REPEAT this step for another piece of bread.
Finishing up the tuna melt sandwich — 5 minutes
PLACE both pieces of toast (with cheese on top) onto your baking tray or rack. GRILL for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted nicely. This is virtually the same method as Subway does, by the way. After grilling, add lettuce on one side and put the other side on top of it. Optionally drizzle some good quality olive oil on top. EAT while hot, enjoy!
In case you’ve missed it: Grab the recipe for fresh tuna salad here