- 700 gram ground beef
- 700 gram passata
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 summer squash (white bush zucchini)
- 1 bell pepper (color of your choice)
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large can of red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chili (depending how spicy you’ll like your chili)
- olive oil
- pepper and salt to taste
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 green onions
- 200 gram crème fraîche
- optional: rice for serving
Kitchen equipment needed
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- large Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pan + lid
- wooden spoon
Preparation — 20 minutes
RINSE zucchini, squash and eggplant and divide them into quite small cubes. RINSE the bell pepper, remove the seeds and also divide into small cubes. PEEL and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. DRAIN the beans from the can and divide the green onion into small rings and set aside.
Finishing the summer squash chili con carne — 1 hour
HEAT a large dash of olive oil in the Dutch oven and sauté the zucchini, squash, eggplant and bell pepper in batches. If you’ll add everything all at once, it’s harder to stir. ADD the ground beef and sauté a few minutes more. ADD onion and garlic and after another few minutes also the tomato paste and spices.
POUR in passata along with the beef stock cubes and kidney beans and bring it all to a boil. Put a lid on the pan and let it simmer on low heat for about half an hour. Meanwhile FILL a pan with water and bring to a boil. COOK the rice, exact time depends on the type of rice you’re using.
SEASON the chili with pepper, salt and maybe some more spices. Let it cook some more without the lid on if the sauce is still too watery. DRAIN the rice and serve the chili con carne with rice, crème fraîche and green onion rings. Enjoy!