- 160 ml buttermilk (or regular milk with a tablespoon of vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 60 ml sunflower or other neutral oil
- 175 gram all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown caster sugar
- 6 slices of smoked bacon
- optional: maple syrup for serving
Kitchen equipment needed
- waffle iron
- meat tongs
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- medium-sized bowl
- 2 spoons
Preparation — 10 minutes
Heat the waffle iron and cook the bacon slices until they’re crispy and transfer them to the cutting board.
If you’re using regular milk, you can add a tablespoon of vinegar to the milk. Then also add the egg, vanilla extract, sunflower oil and caster sugar. Stir with a whisk to create a smooth mixture. Combine flour with baking powder if you’re not using self-rising flour.
Gradually add the flour to the milk mixture and stir until the batter is smooth.
Finishing the crispy bacon waffles — 10 minutes
Chop the crispy bacon into quite small pieces and add about 3/4th to the batter. Add about 2 large spoonfuls of batter to the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is beautiful golden brown. Repeat until all the batter has been used and serve with the remaining bacon bits.
You can also add some maple syrup on top if you’d rather have a sweet than savory waffle. Enjoy!