- 3 medium-sized round courgettes, or use 4 small ones (we’ve used ‘ronde de Nice’)
- about 300 gram ground beef (or use half pork, half beef)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 140 gram tomato paste
- small handful of pitted green olives
- pepper and salt to taste
- olive oil
- large handful of grated cheese
Kitchen equipment needed
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- large pan (optional with a colander that fits on top) & lid
- oven dish or oven tray lined with parchment paper
Preparation — 20 minutes
Rinse the zucchini and cut off the top, use a spoon to remove the inside. You can cook them in boiling water for about 10 minutes, or steam them. You can easily use a colander and a small layer of water in the pan. Place the zucchini cut side down in the colander, put the lid on and steam them for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Coarsely chop the olives. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
Finishing the beef stuffed zucchini — 20 minutes
Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the ground beef and after another few minutes you can also stir in the tomato paste. Cook it some more and then also add the green olives.
Season the inside of the zucchini with pepper and salt and divide the ground beef filling over the zucchini. Finish with some grated cheese and drizzle the outside with a bit of olive oil. Cook the zucchini, and the tops, for about 10 minutes in the oven. The exact time depends on your oven, the zucchini is done when the cheese is completely melted.
Serve with some rice if you like, enjoy!