- 600 gram beans (I’ve used green and yellow beans)
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 can of tomatoes (400 gram)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- pepper and salt to taste
- optional: dash of water or stock
Kitchen equipment needed
- small knife
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- large skillet
- wooden spoon
Preparation — 10 minutes
Rinse the green beans if needed and remove the ends. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves.
Finishing the Lebanese green beans — 40 minutes
Heat a dash of olive oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the ground spices and sauté a bit more. Add the beans and cook a few minutes more before you’ll add the canned tomatoes. Cook the beans in the tomatoes for about 5 minutes and then turn down the heat.
Let it simmer on low heat for about half an hour. If the beans aren’t done yet while the liquid of the tomatoes has evaporated you can add a bit of water of stock. Season with pepper and salt, remove the sprigs of thyme and serve as a side dish with rice, pasta or couscous. Enjoy!