- about 400 gram ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1,5 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1,5 tablespoon curry powder
- half teaspoon nutmeg
- pepper and salt to taste
- olive oil
- 1 sachet of sauerkraut (I used about 400 gram homemade sauerkraut)
- 600 gram floury potatoes (or more for a thicker layer of mashed potatoes)
- 6 large slices of pineapple (you can use fresh or canned pineapple)
- 2 large handfuls of grated cheese
Kitchen equipment needed
- cutting board & chef’s knife
- medium-sized pan with lid
- potato masher
- medium-sized skillet
- wooden spoon
- large oven dish
Preparation — 20 minutes
Peel the potatoes and chop them into chunks. Cook them in water with salt for about 20 minutes, the exact cooking time depends on the size of the chunks.
Meanwhile peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Divide the pineapple into slices if needed and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Finishing the sauerkraut and pineapple casserole — 45 minutes
Meanwhile heat a bit of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet and sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add ground beef and after another few minutes also add the spices. Season with pepper and salt and divide over the bottom of a large oven dish.
Drain the sauerkraut and divide on top of the ground beef. Drain the potatoes and mash them, the mashed potatoes don’t have to be super smooth. Season the mashed potatoes with pepper and salt and divide them on top of the sauerkraut. Add the slices of pineapple on top and finish with a layer of grated cheese. Bake the casserole in the oven for about half an hour, or until the cheese is beautiful golden brown. The exact baking time depends on your oven, enjoy!